Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Teeny-Tiny Accident...

    So in my house, there's an old desktop that my Dad resurrected from some damp corner in the shed. It's about 10 years old with 512MB RAM and 60GB Hard Drive. It's a complete wreck and as usual, I had to make it better! Seriously, What am I expected to do with a wreck of a computer with virtually no RAM or Hard Drive. I wasn't let install Linux on it because my sister needs Windows for her Ipod. So I did what any sane-minded person would do. I formatted the hard drive and installed Vista. Why Vista, I dunno but anywhoo... I soon saw the error of my ways and re-installed XP on the desktop.
    Now I had asked my Dad if he would mind me formatting the hard drive and he said "Not a problem. Not like there's anything like pictures or important documents on it!". So now, about 2 weeks after I wiped everything, my Dad decides for the first time in 10 years to sit down and go on the desktop. He had no reason to go on the desktop because he has his own laptop for crying out loud! He boots it up and he asks "What happened to all my pictures?" So now the rest of my holidays will be spent learning about computer forensics and data recovery :( If someone with any idea of what to do mind commenting for me, I'm all ears. I've asked a couple of ye over on #hbh and while helpful, I got no results.
    So guys, always back up! I've made the mistake once and it won't happen again ;P So that's all for now!
       NotMyFault

1 comment:

  1. ouch! thats pretty rough. you need to carve the data. you can try Foremost if you are linux savvy, or get a copy of datalifter. datalifter costs thirty bucks or so. generally you could use bitflare for a quick look at the computer (it will run on a machine that old and its free) but i don't think it will recover the pictures the way you want in this situation

    ReplyDelete